MSDTC terminated unexpectedly – Event ID 7031
After deploying a new Terminal Server (from a VMWare template) the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service crashed indefinitely. We used the following solution to get the MSDTC service up and running again.
- Check the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC, the key “SysprepInProgress” should have the hex value 0. If it is equal to 1, change the value and restart the server
- After the restart check the services and stop the “Distributed Transaction Coordinator” service
- Start CMD and execute the following command: %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -uninstall
- Start regedit and delete the following keys (if they exist):
- Start CMD and execute the following command: %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -install
- Execute the following command in the cmd box: regsvr32 mtxoci.dll, normally you get a confirmation box with OK.
- Restart the server
- Start CMD and execute the following command: %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -resetlog