After deploying a new Terminal Server (from a VMWare template) the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service crashed indefinitely. We used the following solution to get the MSDTC service up and running again.
- Check the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSDTC, the key “SysprepInProgress” should have the hex value 0. If it is equal to 1, change the value and restart the server
- After the restart check the services and stop the “Distributed Transaction Coordinator” service
- Start CMD and execute the following command: %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -uninstall
- Start regedit and delete the following keys (if they exist):
- Start CMD and execute the following command: %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -install
- Execute the following command in the cmd box: regsvr32 mtxoci.dll, normally you get a confirmation box with OK.
- Restart the server
- Start CMD and execute the following command: %WINDIR%\System32\msdtc.exe -resetlog
When configuring sccm I often need the operating system name and version to create collections. An overview:
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 5.0 – Windows 2000
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 5.1 – Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 5.2 – Windows XP x64
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.0 – Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.1 – Windows 7
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 6.2 – Windows 8
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 – Windows NT
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 5.0 – Windows Server 2000
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 5.2 – Windows Server 2003
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 6.0 – Windows Server 2008
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 6.1 – Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 6.1 – Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 6.2 – Windows Server 2012
When I like to include a Windows Server 2008 R2 datacenter edition I need to use the following operating system name and version: Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 6.1
Following warning in the event viewer:
Log Name: Active Directory Web Services
Date: 03/09/2012 14:05:16
Event ID: 1209
Task Category: ADWS Instance Events
Active Directory Web Services encountered an error while reading the settings for the specified Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services instance. Active Directory Web Services will retry this operation periodically. In the mean time, this instance will be ignored.
Instance name: ADAM_VMwareVCMSDS
Steps I’ve used to solve this problem (backup your registry!):
- Open regedit and navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ADAM_VMwareVCMSDS\Parameters
- delete the Port SSL REG_SZ key (normally it has no value next to it)
- create a reg_dword with the same name: Port SSL with the value 636
The warnings in the event log should disappear. Any comments or remarks? Don’t hesitate to give me some feedback
iOS 5.1 is in town, I have already installed it on my iPhones and the iPad2 and it was great succes. Now exploring some of the new/updated possibilities.
Overview of the fixes:
This update contains improvements and bug fixes,
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV shows and movies on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30 second rewind for iPad
- Updated AT&T network indicator
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes an issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222
When you deploy a Linux server in your VMware environment you also want to install the VMware Tools (I guess). Great news the tools are compatible with Ubuntu Server. First mount the iso (install/upgrade VMware tools) to your virtual machine.
Open a Virtual Machine Console and start executing the following commands:
- sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
- sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
- cp /media/cdrom/VMware*.tar.gz /tmp
- sudo umount /media/cdrom
- cd /tmp
- tar xzvf VMware*.gz
- cd vmware-tools-distrib/
- sudo ./vmware-install.pl
When you get prompts for different answers read them, however it’s almost every time just an enter to continue the installation. The default answers look OK.
When you get the following error: None of the pre-built vmhgfs modules for VMware Tools is suitable for your running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmhgfs module for your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]
You can use “enter” however when the c compiler isn’t available use the following commands:
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade
- sudo apt-get install build-essential
After the installation of the “build-essential” the installation will continue and you can continue to follow the installation and use enter to answer the questions.
Any remarks, retweets or questions are much appreciated.
When you are trying to upgrade the firmware on your Equallogic PS Series array you may get the following error: “update failed”. Reason: “Insufficient free space to expand kit; required xxMB, available: yyMB”.
A golden tip: If you are working in a production environment better call Equallogic Support, they can be really helpful.
For me the problem was solved following these steps:
- ftp to the location of the array
- Login using grpadmin and your <PASSWORD>
- When you are logged in and get ftp> at the front type in BIN
- After this action you can type in DIR
- You should see a bunch of files, I had to delete any .dgo and .core files to have sufficient space to update.
Any comments, remarks or information much appreciated
Blackberry Enterprise activation failing with error Waiting for recognition of valid user activation response before continuing with processing. Also error on handheld device that the handheld can’t activate (email/password are wrong)
Check the following:
- Is the SIM card activation OK?
- No forwarding active on the specified account? The account needs to receive the activation message
If none of these actions are succesfull you can delete the user and recreate it, if the error continues please feel free to add comments.